Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed September 5, 2007
Wright Campaign Shut Down
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – A letter is on the way to Representative Thomas Wright from the State Board of Elections notifying him that his campaign account is off limits.
Wright's Semi-Annual campaign report was due July 27th. When it didn't show up in the State Board of Election's mailbox, the board sent Wright a certified letter telling him he had 20 days to file the report.
That deadline expired Monday.
So now another letter is heading Wright's way telling him that that his campaign is suspended.
Board of Elections Director Gary Bartlett says there are other lawmakers who have not filed and are failing to contact the State Board of Elections.
It happens but we're talking about maybe a half a dozen each election cycle. It just so happens that this time he is one of twelve, so it's basically doubled.
Bartlett says the State Board of Elections is keeping an eye on Wright's account and will hit him with a misdemeanor charge if he either deposits or withdraws money from his account.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.