Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Mon November 23, 2009
"This Thursday when you are gathered with those special to you... think of the honey bees, doing the same, gathered close together, warm in their hives..."
By Shane Fernando
What does our honey producing friend, the honeybee, do over the winter? Does she sleep? Does she perish in the cold or does she fly down to Florida for a few months? Beekeeper and commentator Shane Fernando gives us a peak into the secret winter life of the honey bee.
Shane Fernando keeps bees with his partner at their home in historic downtown Wilmington and is curator of the Boseman Gallery at UNCW.