Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Wed December 14, 2011
Wilmington's D.C. Virgo Charter School Application Denied
A state advisory council has denied the charter school application for D.C. Virgo Middle in Wilmington.
The application for the D.C. Virgo Urban Prep Academy Charter School passed an initial review earlier this week, but the state Public Charter School Advisory Council ultimately denied the proposal citing its concerns about the governance design of the school board.
A New Hanover County Schools spokesperson says the issue may have been a lack of definitive bylaws and specific board members.
Superintendant Tim Markley says the news is disappointing, but his team will revise its plan. He’ll discuss options for moving forward with the county board of education in January.
Markley says the county is committed to opening the proposed charter school next fall.
The state legislature lifted its long-standing cap of 100 charter schools earlier this year.