The Wilmington Symphonic Winds (WSW) is wrapping up its first season this Sunday, May 31 with a 7:00 concert at Kenan Auditorium. Conductor John LaCognata visited to talk about the formation of the band last year and the success of their concerts so far. WSW just received 501(c)3 non-profit status, a great accomplishment providing continued momentum into next season.
The band boasts over 70 performers for this spring concert and an eclectic selection of music:
- American Overture by Joseph Wilcox Jenkins
- Canzona by Peter Mennin
- Lincolnshire Posy by Percy Grainger
- Arabesque by Samuel Hazo
- Variations on a Korean Folk Song by John Barnes Chance
- Abram's Pursuit by David Holsinger
- The Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philip Sousa
Performers in WSW are a collection of top-notch musicians from the Wilmington area, Lumberton, Jacksonville, and even a few from South Carolina. Tickets are available at the performance at Kenan Auditorium, $10/$6 for youth and senior citizens.