Most Active Stories
- HoHo Shorts Countdown: "Oh! Christmas Tree" by Mary Kaye Hester
- Representative Susi Hamilton Speaks Out on State's New Tax Reform Package
- Wilmington Housing Authority Seeks Social Equity-Minded Partners
- HoHo Shorts Countdown: "Crying with Santa" by Katharine Frazier
- Waste Part I: Managing the New Commodity
Thu October 20, 2011
Wilmington City Council Race: Laura Padgett
By Sara Wood
Wilmington, NC – As the polls opened for early voting in North Carolina Thursday, voters in Wilmington will get to choose three city council members out of nine candidates. WHQR's Sara Wood reports that Laura Padgett is one of the two incumbents running in this race.
Padgett says in her 16 years on city council she's been a strong proponent of public transportation, parks and green space and affordable housing. She says right now there is a need to improve job visibility.
"I think we could make use of businesses that are already here and trying to add to those. And I think we could use existing businesses for entr e with their suppliers and connections in other places. But I also think it's important that we support new businesses by luring those people and keeping those people through quality of life issues."
Padgett says her background in municipal government and finance along with the state and national relationships she has formed over the years should prove to voters she is worthy of re-election.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? If so, we'd like to hear from you. Please email the WHQR News Team.