Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue November 8, 2011
Williston Middle Closed Late for Voters After Brief Lockdown
A shooting at the corner of 13th and Ann Streets in Wilmington caused three schools to briefly go on lockdown Tuesday morning, including Williston Middle School.
The shooting was unrelated to the schools and students, and the Wilmington Police Department is now reminding voters that Williston has reopened as a polling location.
Because of the half-hour lockdown, when voters were not allowed to cast their votes, the New Hanover County Board of Elections extended the Williston polls hours until 8 pm. Other polling locations closed at 7:30.