Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Soup to Nuts Live!: Rebekah Todd
Fri September 20, 2013
WHQR's Spellcasters Tie for Third in Spelling Bee
Over a dozen local businesses and organizations entered Cape Fear Literacy Council's 26th Annual Spelling Bee for Literacy. Teams of three represented the Greater Wilmington Business Journal, StarNews, and UNCW's Men's Soccer Team, among others.
WHQR's Spellcasters, comprised of Producer/Announcer Asia Brown (left), Underwriting Representative Kate Brandis (center), and News Director Rachel Lewis Hilburn (right) tied for third, taken out by "Xenagogue."
The Winners?: Port City Java's Coffee for Algernon, defeating last year's champions, Wilmington Cape Fear Rotary Club, in a ten-word battle for it all.
So, the lesson learned last night, in addition to how the Cape Fear Literacy Council serves members of our community, is never to underestimate your barista. Congratulations, to Coffee for Algernon!