Opportunity: The Reporter position at WHQR Public Radio will focus on local news content, primarily material for use in Morning Edition, All Things Considered, with corresponding links to web stories and podcasts. Under the supervision of the News Director, the Reporter will follow News Department policy in light of the station’s overall mission, and produce offerings that reflect the standards of audio production, journalistic ethics and public service using NPR’s best practices as a model. The position requires excellent interviewing, editing and production skills, familiarity with digital media, and an authoritative but conversational on-air presence. From time to time the Reporter may assist in training new Graduate Fellows in reporting, and in hosting newsmagazines or talk shows when regular hosts are absent.
- Produce, edit and report newscast and feature material that meet time, quality and accuracy standards
- Research topics, generate ideas, report, write and produce news spot and feature stories for air and online under the supervision of the News Director
- Work within a team environment
- Make public appearances at events promoting WHQR radio or its outreach activities as assigned
- Develop and maintain a shared list of contacts
- Develop local news programming and enterprise stories
- Serve as a backup host for newsmagazines and CoastLine when regular hosts are absent
- Assist in maintenance of applicable web, podcast and social media-based news content
- Participate in on-air fundraising
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Work within station editorial policy as articulated by the Station Manager in consultation with the Board of the Friends of Public Radio, Inc.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in broadcast journalism
- Experience in radio production, preferably in a public media environment
- Demonstrated skills in interviewing, audio editing software, and writing for broadcast
- Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
- Willingness to work flexible hours as news stories require
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position with benefits as determined for WHQR employees by Board policy. WHQR/Friends of Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send electronic versions of cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for 3 references to: email@example.com.
Application review to begin January 9, 2017, with interviews beginning soon after. Open until filled.