Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu April 12, 2012
WHQR Seeking News Director
Position Vacancy: News Director
The News Director of WHQR Public Radio is head of the News Department and will supervise the station’s news coverage in all aspects of media. Together with the Program Manager and Station Manager, the News Director will determine News Department policy in light of the station’s overall mission, and ensure that news offerings reflect the highest standards of audio production, journalistic ethics and public service using NPR’s best practices as a model.
By coaching, diligent supervision and hands-on examples, he or she will ensure that the news department writes, produces and delivers newscasts during assigned shifts. The News Director must meet WHQR's standards of content and integrated NPR-style reporting, requiring excellent interviewing skills, conversational on-air delivery and the ability to operate a broadcast console during scheduled shifts.
- Produce, edit and report newscast and feature material that meet time, quality and accuracy standards
- Research topics, generate ideas, report, write and produce news spot and feature stories for air and online under the supervision of the Program Manager.
- Attend story meetings with comprehensive story treatment ideas.
- Take assignments and edits from the Program Manager or other designees.
- Edit and assign staff and intern reporters.
- Work within a team environment.
- Make public appearances at events promoting WHQR radio or its outreach activities as assigned.
- Develop and maintain a shared list of contacts.
- Develop local news programming and enterprise stories
- Direct development and maintenance of Web-based news content
- Participate in on-air fundraising and makes special public appearances as assigned by the Program Manager.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work within station editorial policy as articulated by the Station Manager in consultation with the Board of the Friends of Public Radio, Inc.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in broadcast journalism
- Experience in radio production, preferably in a public media environment
- Demonstrated skills in interviewing, audio editing software, and writing for broadcast
- Good people skills, with previous supervisory experience desirable
- Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
- Willingness to work flexible hours as news stories require
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits as determined for WHQR employees by Board policy. WHQR/Friends of Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, names and information of 3 references, writing sample and air-check CD or mp3 files to:
WHQR News Director Search
254 Front Street, Suite 300
Wilmington, NC 28401
Electronic submissions to email@example.com. Application review to begin May 1, 2012, for an anticipated start date of July 1, 2012.