Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Thu November 10, 2011
'Where Solders Come From' And What They Return To
Dominic Fredianelli and his buddies signed up for the National Guard in exchange for a signing bonus and help with college tuition. A new documentary, Where Soldiers Come From by Heather Courtney, follows their path from carefree teens in Michigan to combat veterans facing battle in Afghanistan.
Courtney spent two years with the group, which deployed in December 2008, documenting the families and the towns these young soldiers come from, their introduction to combat and disillusionment with their mission, and the problems that surface once they return home.
NPR's Neal Conan talks with Courtney and Fredianelli about the film.