Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Mon January 30, 2006
What's Next: Ports
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – In mid-January, the North Carolina Ports Authority put up $3 million and singed a deal for 600 acres of land along the Cape Fear River just north of Southport.
This is where the Ports Authority wants to build a brand new port that would take in two-million containers and rival the Port of Charleston.
News of the project leaked out of the Ports Authority's board meeting last month. WHQR News Director Catherine Welch asked Ports Authority CEO Tom Eager to outline how this project developed.