Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue June 19, 2007
WAVE Looking At Boosting Columbus Co. Line
By Megan V. Williams
Wilmington, NC – Columbus County residents who use the bus to get to Wilmington: WAVE Transit wants to know how to serve you better.
WAVE Transit is looking to improve rider-ship on its Columbus County Connector bus service. A survey found the route has roughly 100 users a month, split between commuters and people trying to get to Wilmington's health services and shopping.
WAVE Director Albert Eby says many construction workers building PPD's headquarters used the bus. With that project finished, he's looking at possibly shifting service to other industrial areas in Wilmington and northern Brunswick County.
Rural areas tend to lose manufacturing jobs, tend to lose large employers, whether it be textiles, tobacco, whatever. Those folks are going to have to look to the more urban centers, like those found here in New Hanover County.
Eby says WAVE Transit is looking into possibly adding regional bus service for Pender County in coming years.