Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Local - November 15
Fri November 15, 2013
Vote Recount Confirms Dan Wilcox as Carolina Beach Mayor
Carolina Beach’s new mayor is confirmed. WHQR’s Katie O’Reilly witnessed this morning’s Board of Elections recount, which solidified the victory of Dan Wilcox over incumbent Bob Lewis.
In New Hanover County, a candidate has the right to demand a recount if the difference between votes is not more than one percent of those cast for two candidates. Carolina Beach Mayor Bob Lewis, who has held his seat since 2009, submitted a request for recount on November 12, after the Board of Elections revealed he had won only 741 votes to challenger Dan Wilcox’s 748. Lewis was not present for this morning’s re-tallying of all one-stop, absentee, provisional and Election Day ballots from Carolina Beach precincts. Finding zero discrepancies in the final results, the board congratulated Dan Wilcox.
Local - November 6
Local - Candidate Forums