Most Active Stories
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- On the Next CoastLine: Long Term Plans for the Cape Fear Region
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- CoastLine: Vertex Rail on Incentives, Why Hometown Hires Will Make Up 10% of Workforce
Inside (well, technically, outside) WHQR
Tue November 29, 2011
Update: Bent crane causes disruption in WHQR schedule
Update: Attempts to remove the damaged crane described below caused a mandatory evacuation of buildings in the 200 block of North Front Street, including the WHQR studios. For about 3 hours Tuesday afternoon we operated on a computerized schedule.
Work has been proceeding on the new Courtyard by Marriott Hotel, which is going up on Grace Street in Wilmington (right behind our building). For the last couple of days workers have been driving iron pilings into the ground, which has given our building a severe case of the jitters all day long. But not right now.
Take a look at the bend on the left side of the crane. It looks as if the weight of the giant jackhammer was a little too much for the crane, which is now out of commission.
At least our windows won't be rattling for a while!