Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Mon July 31, 2006
UNCW Under the Sea and on Capitol Hill
By Megan V. Williams
Wilmington, NC – Less work on beach erosion, more on ocean exploration. That will be the shift if the Undersea Research Center at UNC-Wilmington is successful in lobbying congress.
UNCW's Undersea Research Center is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA.
A bill currently before congress could combine NOAA's undersea research with its ocean exploration program.
Alan Shepard, director of the UNCW center, testified in front of a House subcommittee last week that a merger would shift his program's focus.
I think we're going to be pushed off shore, and we're going to be pushed into more advanced areas, and that will become more of the niche we fill. Maybe a downside, in that we're not going to be able to do all the things we did before. But on the other hand it's pretty exciting to all of us.
Shepard says the proposed merger of the two under seas programs is part of a push to ensure future congressional funding.