Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon July 31, 2006
UNCW Under the Sea and on Capitol Hill
By Megan V. Williams
Wilmington, NC – Less work on beach erosion, more on ocean exploration. That will be the shift if the Undersea Research Center at UNC-Wilmington is successful in lobbying congress.
UNCW's Undersea Research Center is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA.
A bill currently before congress could combine NOAA's undersea research with its ocean exploration program.
Alan Shepard, director of the UNCW center, testified in front of a House subcommittee last week that a merger would shift his program's focus.
I think we're going to be pushed off shore, and we're going to be pushed into more advanced areas, and that will become more of the niche we fill. Maybe a downside, in that we're not going to be able to do all the things we did before. But on the other hand it's pretty exciting to all of us.
Shepard says the proposed merger of the two under seas programs is part of a push to ensure future congressional funding.