Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Fri April 20, 2012
UNCW Chancellor Gary Miller Formally Installed
UNCW made it official Friday. As WHQR’s Rachel Lewis Hilburn reports, Chancellor Gary Miller took his oath of office at an installation ceremony last week – nearly one year after taking the position.
Wolf spiders were once the focus of his research because, according to Chancellor Miller, they are an excellent model organism for studying the evolution of behavior. And though Chancellor Miller’s arachnological years are behind him, he says his study of the spiders marks the most formative part of his research career. But his focus now: executing a strategic plan through what he calls a values-driven culture of achievement.
“I really want this University to be fully engaged in the service aspect of this community and education in this community and the arts… as a full partner, as someone who brings to the table certain elements that only we can bring … that makes this region a vibrant area.”
Chancellor Miller also says the University will work to stabilize the local economy -- partly through its Entrepreneurship Center – which works to attract businesses that bring jobs and supports local entrepreneurs.