Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon December 12, 2011
UNCW Announces $1 Million Gift
UNCW announced today that its Osher Lifelong Learning Institute has received a gift of $1 million.
WHQR’s Sara Wood reports that the funding comes from the Bernard Osher Foundation, which endowed UNCW’s program with another $1 million grant back in 2007.
The national Osher Foundation supports lifelong learning opportunities at more than 100 colleges across the country for adults aged fifty and over.
At UNCW, there are more than 1,000 members who travel abroad for education excursions, attend guest speaker lectures, and take classes in everything from beginner’s Spanish to consumer education.
The program began in 1999 and became affiliated with the Osher Foundation in 2005. UNCW awarded Bernard and Barbro Osher honorary Doctor of Humanities degrees back in 2008 for their contributions to the school.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? If so, we'd like to hear from you. Please email the WHQR News Team.