Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed November 30, 2011
U.K. Expels Iranian Diplomats
Foreign Secretary William Hague told Parliament that "if any country makes it impossible for us to operate on their soil they cannot expect to have a functioning embassy here."
Iran has said only a small number of the protesters are to blame for the attack, and another on a second British diplomatic compound in Tehran, and claims that some of those individuals have been arrested.
But photos and reports from the scene showed that among those who ransacked the embassy, throwing stones and petrol bombs as they went, were members of the Basij militia, which often provides "a little bit of muscle" for the Iranian regime, as NPR's Steve Inskeep has reported.