Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Fri June 7, 2013
Tropical Storm Andrea leaves behind minor flooding, a few downed trees
Tropical Storm Andrea: the first named storm of the Atlantic Hurricane season left very little damage behind.
Minor flooding in predictable areas, a few downed trees blocking roads, and some early-morning tornadoes with no confirmed reports of damage – that’s all the Cape Fear region has to show for its brief visit with Tropical Storm Andrea.
Reid Hawkins is with the National Weather Service:
We’ve got some good rain. Maybe a little we have to worry about some river flooding. Is it good for us at the Weather Office of Emergency Management? It’s a good test. So if we do get a bigger storm this season, we’ve ironed all our bugs out. We’ll be ready to go for a more significant storm later in the year.
Meteorologists are predicting clearing skies this evening – followed by partial sunshine over the weekend.