Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Mon November 7, 2011
Traveling With The O'Rourkes On 'Holidays In Heck'
After retiring as a war correspondent, P.J. O'Rourke decided to travel for pleasure, often with his family.
He went to some dream destinations — Disneyland with the family, Ecuador's Galapagos Islands, Italy's famed modern art exhibit Venice Biennale.
He also took some less conventional journeys — a horseback trek across a mountain in Kyrgyzstan, a voyage down China's Yangzte river, a couple's bird hunting trip.
But in Holidays In Heck, he explains how all these excursions left him questioning the merits of traveling for fun, and yearning for his days spent under artillery fire.