Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon November 7, 2011
Traveling With The O'Rourkes On 'Holidays In Heck'
After retiring as a war correspondent, P.J. O'Rourke decided to travel for pleasure, often with his family.
He went to some dream destinations — Disneyland with the family, Ecuador's Galapagos Islands, Italy's famed modern art exhibit Venice Biennale.
He also took some less conventional journeys — a horseback trek across a mountain in Kyrgyzstan, a voyage down China's Yangzte river, a couple's bird hunting trip.
But in Holidays In Heck, he explains how all these excursions left him questioning the merits of traveling for fun, and yearning for his days spent under artillery fire.