Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue June 5, 2012
Three Ways To Stop A Bank Run
Originally published on Thu June 7, 2012 5:23 pm
Once a bank run starts, it takes on a logic of its own. Even a solid, solvent bank can't hold up for long if people start to panic. This is a problem for Europe right now, as depositors continue to pull money out of banks in Spain and Greece.
On today's show, we talk to Douglas Diamond, an economist who is one of the go-to guys on bank runs, and we hear from Greek bank teller who is handing out euros to panicked depositors.
We walk through the three things you can do to stop a bank run — and figure out what options are left for Europe.
BONUS: Check out our special bank run playlist assembled by Zoe Chace.