Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Fri December 16, 2011
Thieves Apprehended After Pocket Dialing 911
Originally published on Fri December 16, 2011 3:23 pm
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne. Most thieves don't turn themselves in, but two in Wisconsin did without quite intending to. As the men drove off after stealing DVDs and video games from Target, one thief pocket-dialed 9-1-1. A dispatcher listened as the duo detailed their heist, including how the police would be looking for their Blue Dodge Durango.
That tip led the cops directly to them. After 54 minutes, their call to 9-1-1 finally ended with their arrest.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.