Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Wed June 13, 2012
Thai Melon Salad
Raising the Salad Bar by Catherine Walthers (Lake Isle Press 2007) remains one of my favorite salad books years after its publication. This melon salad, which I just discovered, is embarrassingly, thoroughly addictive. Go for dry-roasted salted peanuts — the ones where the salt falls right off in your fingers in a powder. The saltiness just makes the melons taste more sweet. If you have three varieties of melon, use them. I only used watermelon and honeydew because that's what I had on hand, and they were phenomenal just like that.
Makes 2 servings
About 3 cups of 3 varieties of melon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 lime
Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the diced melons. Add a small pinch of cayenne and lime juice to taste.
Top with the chopped cilantro and peanuts and serve.