Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Wed June 13, 2012
Thai Melon Salad
Raising the Salad Bar by Catherine Walthers (Lake Isle Press 2007) remains one of my favorite salad books years after its publication. This melon salad, which I just discovered, is embarrassingly, thoroughly addictive. Go for dry-roasted salted peanuts — the ones where the salt falls right off in your fingers in a powder. The saltiness just makes the melons taste more sweet. If you have three varieties of melon, use them. I only used watermelon and honeydew because that's what I had on hand, and they were phenomenal just like that.
Makes 2 servings
About 3 cups of 3 varieties of melon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 lime
Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the diced melons. Add a small pinch of cayenne and lime juice to taste.
Top with the chopped cilantro and peanuts and serve.