Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed July 16, 2008
SUV: Subversive Unwanted Vehicle
"When sandwiched between two such giants, the driver of the normal-sized car has to ease out with zero visibility into the road behind. It tends to make the drive of the regular car a bit huffy and the word "bully" frequently hisses between clenched teeth."
By Nan Graham
Wilmington, NC – The names say a lot about the image: Excursion, Explorer, Four-Runner, Journey. All speak to our fascination with venturing boldly into the unknown where only behemoth SUVs dare to go. But, as commentator Nan Graham notes, the times they are a-changin'...
Nan Graham's WHQR commentaries can be found in her books, "Turn South at the Next Magnolia" and "In a Magnolia Minute." Here website is nangraham.com.