Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Wed July 16, 2008
SUV: Subversive Unwanted Vehicle
"When sandwiched between two such giants, the driver of the normal-sized car has to ease out with zero visibility into the road behind. It tends to make the drive of the regular car a bit huffy and the word "bully" frequently hisses between clenched teeth."
By Nan Graham
Wilmington, NC – The names say a lot about the image: Excursion, Explorer, Four-Runner, Journey. All speak to our fascination with venturing boldly into the unknown where only behemoth SUVs dare to go. But, as commentator Nan Graham notes, the times they are a-changin'...
Nan Graham's WHQR commentaries can be found in her books, "Turn South at the Next Magnolia" and "In a Magnolia Minute." Here website is nangraham.com.