Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon July 2, 2012
Summer Souvenirs: 75 Years Of Tanglewood In Pictures
Originally published on Mon July 2, 2012 3:34 pm
Join us Friday as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of Tanglewood, the summer music festival that is both the seasonal home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and a legendary destination in its own right.
To mark the occasion, with our friends at Classical New England, we're live streaming (at 8 PM ET) the BSO's first concert of the season. The all-Beethoven program led by Christoph von Dohnanyi replicates the very first concert the orchestra gave at Tanglewood in 1937.
We took this opportunity to trawl the orchestra's storied archives for hidden photographic treasures, from the regal to the casual. (Lukas Foss and Leonard Bernstein enjoying birthday cake with Serge Koussevitsky! Seiji Ozawa and Arthur Fiedler conducting ... a train!)
Do you have special memories of Tanglewood? Let us know in the comments — and please share your stories, photos and video links at "Tanglewood Tales," a project being organized by Classical New England to celebrate this anniversary season.