Most Active Stories
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Mon July 15, 2013
From the StoryCorps Archives: A Troubled Student Rises
Just over two years ago, the StoryCorps mobile soundbooth came to Wilmington and recorded rich stories of family, heritage, and personal struggle. WHQR News is thrilled to bring this wonderful catalog of Wilmington back for a second look.
Wilmington teacher Tracey Wilkes recalls one of her early conversations with student Cache Barnes: “I remember you saying “I’m a piece of garbage, why would you care?” Wilkes knew better and was going to push Barnes. She remembers “…you were this shining star, at that point, this wonderful little girl.” Listen to the two speak and tell the story of how Barnes’ self-image grew to encompass the wonder her mentor already knew was there.
(April 11, 2011)