Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Mon July 8, 2013
From the StoryCorps Archives: Jumping Off the Bridge, Love in a Time of Chaperones
Just over two years ago, the StoryCorps mobile soundbooth came to Wilmington and recorded rich stories of family, heritage, and personal struggle. WHQR News is thrilled to bring this wonderful catalog of Wilmington back for a second look.
In today's story, a man crosses a street and a romance begins. He was an American in Brazil and spoke no Portuguese. She was a Brazilian and spoke little English. Most of their first dates were closely chaperoned, under the direction of her parents. After having dated for only one month, against obstacles of language and distance, he asks her: "You would marry me, wouldn't you?" At first, she does not answer.
In a bonus StoryCorps clip, Creamer's daughter Sylvia Jabaley describes a curios memory of her mother jumping from a bridge and also recalls the welcoming home of her adolescence.
(July, 13 2011)