Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon December 19, 2011
StarNews Publisher in Talks about Possible Sale
The New York Times Company announced Monday that it’s in advanced discussions about selling its Regional Media Group to Halifax Media Holdings.
The Regional Media Group includes the StarNews of Wilmington and 15 other media businesses, like newspapers and publications scattered across the country in Florida, California, Louisiana, Alabama, and both Carolinas. See the full list.
According to the New York Times Media Decoder blog, the papers have nearly 1,800 full-time employees and a weekday circulation of more than 420,000. Between just 2008 and 2009, the advertising revenue for the Regional Media Group dropped by more than 30 percent.
The StarNews has reported that its publisher, Robert J. Gruber, has no further comment on the possible sale.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? If so, we'd like to hear from you. Please email the WHQR News Team.