Most Active Stories
- HoHo Shorts Countdown: "Oh! Christmas Tree" by Mary Kaye Hester
- Representative Susi Hamilton Speaks Out on State's New Tax Reform Package
- Wilmington Housing Authority Seeks Social Equity-Minded Partners
- HoHo Shorts Countdown: "Crying with Santa" by Katharine Frazier
- Cinematique Presents: "Kill Your Darlings"
Mon December 19, 2011
StarNews Publisher in Talks about Possible Sale
The New York Times Company announced Monday that it’s in advanced discussions about selling its Regional Media Group to Halifax Media Holdings.
The Regional Media Group includes the StarNews of Wilmington and 15 other media businesses, like newspapers and publications scattered across the country in Florida, California, Louisiana, Alabama, and both Carolinas. See the full list.
According to the New York Times Media Decoder blog, the papers have nearly 1,800 full-time employees and a weekday circulation of more than 420,000. Between just 2008 and 2009, the advertising revenue for the Regional Media Group dropped by more than 30 percent.
The StarNews has reported that its publisher, Robert J. Gruber, has no further comment on the possible sale.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? If so, we'd like to hear from you. Please email the WHQR News Team.