Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Wed September 26, 2007
Smoke Warning for Brunswick County Fire
By Megan V. Williams
Wilmington, NC – The National Weather Service has issued a dense smoke advisory for the Hale Swamp Road Fire near Ocean Isle Beach.
The 70-acre blaze is fully contained but trees and brush continue to smolder. Fire Information Officer Chris Meggs says the smoke will be at its worst early in the day.
"Before the weather warms up and the fog burns off, the smoke sits right on the ground. Midmorning, it'll start lifting. But traffic early in the morning is especially tough."
Meggs says 34 fire fighters are working on the blaze near Ocean Isle Beach, which he expects to stay active until the next good rain.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.