Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed September 26, 2007
Smoke Warning for Brunswick County Fire
By Megan V. Williams
Wilmington, NC – The National Weather Service has issued a dense smoke advisory for the Hale Swamp Road Fire near Ocean Isle Beach.
The 70-acre blaze is fully contained but trees and brush continue to smolder. Fire Information Officer Chris Meggs says the smoke will be at its worst early in the day.
"Before the weather warms up and the fog burns off, the smoke sits right on the ground. Midmorning, it'll start lifting. But traffic early in the morning is especially tough."
Meggs says 34 fire fighters are working on the blaze near Ocean Isle Beach, which he expects to stay active until the next good rain.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.