Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Fri November 2, 2012
Site Selection magazine names NC as state with "top business climate"
North Carolina ranks as the nation’s “Top Business Climate,” according to a prominent real estate and economic development magazine. It’s the tenth time in 12 years the state has taken the top honor in the annual ranking by Site Selection.
The publication's ranking is based partly on a survey of corporate site selectors — who named Texas their No. 1 choice, followed by North Carolina.
The other portion of the ranking is based on several factors – including demonstrated strength in attracting capital investment and the number of new projects on the books that either have a minimum one million dollar investment, bring at least 50 new jobs, or require a new space of 20k square feet or more. An analysis of state tax burdens on both mature and new firms is also included in the calculation.
Governor Bev Perdue says the reasons behind the high score for the Tar Heel state include its wealth of talented and skilled labor, custom training programs, solid transportation infrastructure, the low cost of doing business, and a high quality of life. Ohio came in second, and Texas took third place.