Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu April 5, 2007
Sims-Hugo Neu Pulls Out of Navassa
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Sims Hugo-Neu announced Thursday that it is pulling out of its landfill project in Navassa.
In a released statement company says it still believes in the project but is pursuing other opportunities.
Navassa's mayor supported the project saying it would deliver a much-needed economic boost. But opponents worried about environmental impacts and traffic.
Veronica Carter is spokesperson for Cape Fear Citizens for a Safe Environment, the grassroots organization leading the fight against the landfill.
With the same vigor and goodwill that we've put in to try to fight this landfill, we'll change that energy into helping the Town of Navassa find a real viable industry.
Carter says it's also important to keep fighting for legislation that will make it more difficult to bring landfills to North Carolina. In the released statement Sims-Hugo Neu said it looks forward to returning to North Carolina on future projects.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd love to hear you thoughts. firstname.lastname@example.org.