Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Thu April 5, 2007
Sims-Hugo Neu Pulls Out of Navassa
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Sims Hugo-Neu announced Thursday that it is pulling out of its landfill project in Navassa.
In a released statement company says it still believes in the project but is pursuing other opportunities.
Navassa's mayor supported the project saying it would deliver a much-needed economic boost. But opponents worried about environmental impacts and traffic.
Veronica Carter is spokesperson for Cape Fear Citizens for a Safe Environment, the grassroots organization leading the fight against the landfill.
With the same vigor and goodwill that we've put in to try to fight this landfill, we'll change that energy into helping the Town of Navassa find a real viable industry.
Carter says it's also important to keep fighting for legislation that will make it more difficult to bring landfills to North Carolina. In the released statement Sims-Hugo Neu said it looks forward to returning to North Carolina on future projects.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd love to hear you thoughts. email@example.com.