Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Tue January 29, 2013
Shooting suspect in custody; school lockdowns lifted
On Tuesday, a suspect fired shots near Barclay Hills Drive in Wilmington after police officers attempted to serve the person with a warrant.
Four nearby schools were put on lockdown. No one at any of the schools was injured.
The suspect is now in custody. Sergeant Jerry Brewer of the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Dept. says they're now lifting lockdowns on the affected schools – Snipes Academy, Rachel Freeman, Moseley Performance Learning Center, and the Child Development Center – in a staggered pattern to help with traffic flow.
Six to eight additional sheriff’s deputies were on hand at each school to help with traffic and the release of students.
A spokeswoman for the Wilmington Police Department said the suspect had been in custody since 1:20 PM. Wilmington Police were about to serve a warrant near Barclay Hills Drive and Princess Place. The suspect ran several blocks and hid in a shed behind a house on the 400 block of Barclay Hills Drive. The standoff lasted for several hours.
Crockett reports EMS checked the suspect for a leg wound caused by a gun shot.
Authorities have not released the suspect's name or any details about the charges.