Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Mon September 17, 2007
Shallotte Officials Want Share of Land Transfer Tax
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – Shallotte Town Officials say if voters endorse the land transfer tax Brunswick County should divide up revenue from the land transfer tax more fairly.
County Commissioners have set aside funds from the possible transfer tax for road and school projects.
Shallotte Town Administrator Paul Sabiston says the county should give two-thirds of the proceeds to schools and roads and distribute the remaining third on a per-capita basis to the municipalities.
So far we haven't been consulted, we haven't been asked. Yet I think our jurisdiction is paying probably over a majority of that tax in the final analysis. And I think we should have a stronger say and deserve to have a portion of it.
Brunswick County residents will vote on whether to adopt the land transfer tax this November.