Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Fri June 9, 2006
Senator Dole Visits Wilmington Port
Port of Wilmington – Senator Dole spent an hour this afternoon meeting with ports officials about current improvement projects and concerns about port security. Dole says she's pushing for federal money to fund a $100,000 reconnaissance study for the international port project in Brunswick county. But the senator says she had immediate concerns about finding funding for dredging and port construction in the region:
"The president's budget, which is just a blueprint, did not contain funding for construction, and it's important that that move forward."
This was Senator Dole's first visit to the port of Wilmington as a member of congress.