Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue July 24, 2012
Senate Pressured To Ratify 'Law Of The Sea'
Originally published on Tue July 24, 2012 6:19 pm
For three decades the Law of the Sea treaty has been debated without ever being approved by the Senate. But proponents say the stakes have never been higher for ratifying the convention. The irony is that just about everyone — of all political stripes, from oil and gas companies, environmental groups, to the U.S. military — is on board with the treaty. Still, a small group of opponents has managed to stall its passage.