Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue July 24, 2012
Senate Pressured To Ratify 'Law Of The Sea'
Originally published on Tue July 24, 2012 6:19 pm
For three decades the Law of the Sea treaty has been debated without ever being approved by the Senate. But proponents say the stakes have never been higher for ratifying the convention. The irony is that just about everyone — of all political stripes, from oil and gas companies, environmental groups, to the U.S. military — is on board with the treaty. Still, a small group of opponents has managed to stall its passage.