Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue January 16, 2007
River Road Residents: The Conversation Continues
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – New Hanover County commissioners are expected to decide during their February 5th meeting whether a portion of River Road can be moved to clear the way for a massive development planned for along the Cape Fear River. Last week we heard from the county and an ecologist working for the developer.
Back in 1999, New Hanover County Commissioners re-zoned a nearly 1,400 acre parcel of land for what was then a planned community with 33-hundred homes.
The property has changed hands and now Developer Newland Communities is drawing up plans for a smaller community.
Developers are asking the county to move a part of River Road farther away from the Cape Fear River and closer to existing neighborhoods.
County planners say they're pleased with the new plan because it opens up more green space and includes public access to the river.
But residents Ed Mikulewicz and Melanie Doyle are concerned about the impact on their neighborhood and the environment that would come with moving the road.
We start our conversation with Mikulewicz talking about how the new road impacts him directly.