Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue November 15, 2011
Retail Sales Rose More Than Forecast In October
Two new economic indicators:
-- Sales in the retail and food sectors rose 0.5 percent in October from September, the Census Bureau says. They were up 7.2 percent from October 2010.
Bloomberg News says the increase in retail sales was "more than projected as Americans snapped up new Apple Inc. iPhones and demand for automobiles improved."
-- Wholesale prices "declined 0.3 percent in October" from September, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. The major factor: A 1.4 percent drop in energy costs. Over the past year, BLS added, wholesale prices have risen 5.9 percent.