Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon April 16, 2012
Representative Carolyn Justice to co-moderate Republican Debate Tues., April 17th
Republican candidates Ilario Pantano, David Rouzer, and Randy Crow are in the race for the party’s nomination to represent the 7th Congressional District. The winner of the May 8th primary faces the incumbent, Democrat Mike McIntyre, in November. And as WHQR’s Rachel Lewis Hilburn reports, all three Republican candidates are set to participate in tonight’s debate at the New Hanover County Courthouse in downtown Wilmington.
Representative Carolyn Justice and WECT anchor Jon Evans will co-moderate the forum. Representative Justice says it’s events like these that give voters critical information about the candidates.
“These are very trying times. The hour is nigh as early voting starts this coming Thursday. It’s time for people to not just listen to what somebody else says. They really need to make the effort to hear the candidate themselves and make informed decisions. And I hope there’ll be a big crowd.”
Each candidate will be asked the same questions and will have 90 seconds to answer -- with a 30-second rebuttal option, if appropriate. And, says Justice, there’ll be a new twist on the final portion of the debate:
“The last question of the forum we’re asking each candidate to craft a question to ask another candidate.”
A meet-and-greet follows the forum.