Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue January 22, 2013
Remembering William "Paco" Strickland
Local flamenco guitarist William "Paco" Strickland passed away Monday afternoon. He had been battling cancer for the better part of 5 years. Having been the host of Flamenco Cafe, a program carried on WHQR for more than 15 years, Paco was part of the WHQR family and a great friend to all who were lucky enough to know him. Four years ago today, Paco performed on the program Soup to Nuts Live in the WHQR gallery. In remembrance of Paco, we have a clip from that performance in which George Scheibner asks Paco about his cancer and how it was impacting his life at the time. Additionally, I sat down with George and Jemila Ericson to reminisce about Paco. They're the two people at the station who probably knew him best.