Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue May 1, 2012
Rabid fox attacks 3 people on Oak Island
A rabid fox attacked three people on Oak Island while they were at home last Sunday.
That’s according to the Brunswick County Health Department. The first victim was working in his yard when the fox bit him. The man shot and killed the fox – but not before the animal attacked two of the man’s next-door neighbors inside their garage. All three people are now undergoing treatment for rabies.
The Health Department is urging citizens to take the following precautions:
Ø Make sure all your pets are current on their rabies vaccinations.
Ø Never try to touch or feed wild or stray animals. Bats, raccoons, skunks, and foxes are the most common carriers of rabies – but any mammal can be infected.
Ø If you are bitten by an animal, seek treatment immediately.