Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue May 1, 2012
Rabid fox attacks 3 people on Oak Island
A rabid fox attacked three people on Oak Island while they were at home last Sunday.
That’s according to the Brunswick County Health Department. The first victim was working in his yard when the fox bit him. The man shot and killed the fox – but not before the animal attacked two of the man’s next-door neighbors inside their garage. All three people are now undergoing treatment for rabies.
The Health Department is urging citizens to take the following precautions:
Ø Make sure all your pets are current on their rabies vaccinations.
Ø Never try to touch or feed wild or stray animals. Bats, raccoons, skunks, and foxes are the most common carriers of rabies – but any mammal can be infected.
Ø If you are bitten by an animal, seek treatment immediately.