UPDATE: WHQR announces that, as of July 19, 2013, the following position has been filled.
Friends of Public Radio, Inc. seeks a full-time Underwriting Representative.
[note: an early version of this story had an incorrect address; see bottom]
Responsibilities include soliciting corporate underwriting support for WHQR, including prospecting, research, presentation to clients, and maintenance of accounts. Qualified applicants should have three to five years’ professional experience and demonstrated success in appropriate areas of fundraising, marketing and/or sales or equivalent experience and education. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Critical skills are sales or fundraising, organizational ability, writing and familiarity with standard office computing. Desired skills include: familiarity with non-profits, especially public broadcasting; experience with the Wilmington business and arts communities; strong interpersonal skills; enthusiasm; sense of humor; ability to achieve goals. Compensation consists of base salary (to cover non-commissionable duties) plus commissions on underwriting revenue collected. Friends of Public Radio, Inc. is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. The position will begin not earlier than July 1, 2013; open until filled.
- Research, cultivate and solicit support (underwriting) for WHQR from corporations and businesses in the Wilmington/Cape Fear area
- Maintain existing accounts and solicit new ones
- Report to, and coordinate accounts with, the underwriting department supervisor
- Assist with soliciting challenges and other forms of support for on-air fund drives
- Be familiar with the interests, demographics, buying habits and other relevant information about the public radio audience
- Participate in on-air fundraising, possibly including pitching
- Be dedicated to achieving financial goals for the station
- Work well within a team environment
- Work within station policy as articulated by station management to further policies of the Board of Friends of Public Radio, Inc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Demonstrated success in sales and/or fundraising
- Familiarity with public radio and/or non-profits desirable
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent desirable
- Good communication skills, including writing and public speaking
- Good people skills
- Prepared to be a good representative of the station in the community
- Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
- Familiarity with basic office software such as Word, Excel, databases and contact management
Friends of Public Radio, Inc. is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Position open until filled, to begin not earlier than July 1, 2013. Submit: Letter of application; resume; names and numbers of three references to:
Underwriting Representative Search
WHQR Public Radio
254 N. Front Street
electronically to email@example.com