Position Announcement: Producer/Host (Morning Edition)
The Producer/Host of WHQR Public Radio will work in a variety of ways to execute the station’s overall mission through its sound and content. Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Producer/Announcer’s principal duties are hosting Morning Edition Monday-Friday and assisting the News Director in the production of CoastLine, a regularly scheduled local talk show to begin in 2014. As time permits other duties may include production of specific program and program elements; fundraising preparation and pitching; and under the direction of the News Director, selected reporting assignments, especially those geared to CoastLine topics; preparation of material for the station’s website; and other duties as assigned. In short, the successful candidate will be adaptable and flexible, with background experience and aptitude to handle a variety of production and on-air tasks at the station.
- Host weekday Morning Edition
- Assist the News Director in the production of CoastLine talk show
- Prepare news stories under the supervision of the News Director
- Announce according to standards of professional delivery in a public radio environment
- Be capable of filling in on various air shifts as necessary
- Participate in on-air fundraising
- Work with station website and social media to support the role of news
- Work well within a team environment.
- Work within station policy as articulated by station management to further policies of the Board of Friends of Public Radio, Inc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in broadcasting
- Demonstrated skills in announcing and program hosting (especially newsmagazines)
- Good people skills
- Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
- Familiarity with newscast hosting highly desirable
- Interviewing experience desirable
- Reporting experience desirable
- Web and social media experience desirable
- Familiarity with classical music a plus
- Familiarity with automation systems, especially AudioVault, desirable
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits as determined for applicable WHQR employees by Board policy. Friends of Public Radio, Inc. is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Position open until filled, with application review beginning January 2, 2014. Submit: Letter of application; resume; names and numbers of three references to:
Cleve Callison, Producer/Host Search
WHQR Public Radio
254 N. Front Street
Wilmington, NC 28401
electronically to email@example.com.