Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue September 19, 2006
Pender County Fires Manager
By Megan V. Williams
Burgaw, NC – County Commissioners voted 3-to-2 to terminate John Bauer's position without cause at the end of their meeting Monday.
This was Bauer's second stint as Pender County's manager. Commissioner voted him into the position on a 3-to-2 vote in February of 2005.
Although his performance was not on the meeting's agenda, Bauer said he was unsurprised by Monday's decision.
You know, it's the nature of the profession that you serve at the will of the board, the elected officials. If they want someone different to run the county, that's their option."
Eugene Meadows, the only County Commissioner reached by WHQR, said he had no comment, but that he had not anticipated Bauer's job performance to come up at the meeting.
Bauer's termination comes a week after the resignation of Pender County's planning director, Frank Palmer.