Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue September 19, 2006
Pender County Fires Manager
By Megan V. Williams
Burgaw, NC – County Commissioners voted 3-to-2 to terminate John Bauer's position without cause at the end of their meeting Monday.
This was Bauer's second stint as Pender County's manager. Commissioner voted him into the position on a 3-to-2 vote in February of 2005.
Although his performance was not on the meeting's agenda, Bauer said he was unsurprised by Monday's decision.
You know, it's the nature of the profession that you serve at the will of the board, the elected officials. If they want someone different to run the county, that's their option."
Eugene Meadows, the only County Commissioner reached by WHQR, said he had no comment, but that he had not anticipated Bauer's job performance to come up at the meeting.
Bauer's termination comes a week after the resignation of Pender County's planning director, Frank Palmer.