Most Active Stories
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Wed April 2, 2014
Partnership Challenge, Spring 2014
Congratulations to Thalian Association and Wilmington Interfaith Hospitality Network, winners of the third WHQR Partnership Challenge in our Spring 2014 member drive.
WHQR created the Partnership Challenge in Spring 2013 as a way to spotlight the close association between WHQR and local nonprofit organizations. Qualified organizations get first-come first-served choice of 24 shifts during our week-long member drives in October and March. Winners are those whose shifts raised the greatest percentage of the fundraising goals set for their time with us (3 or 4 hours). This year's winners:
1st Place: Thalian Association, Wednesday 3/26 (Day 1), 9 am -- noon
- Thalian Association is a non-profit, membership organization dedicated to enhancing the rich artistic environment of the Cape Fear region. Tracing its roots back to 1788, Thalian Association -- named by the state legislature as the Official Community Theater of North Carolina in 2007 -- exists to enrich the lives of the residents of the Wilmington area by producing quality community theater, teaching youth life skills through theater education, and providing an outlet for artists and technicians to develop and exercise their craft.
2nd Place: Wilmington Interfaith Hospitality Network, Friday 3/28 (Day 3), noon -- 4 pm
- The mission of Wilmington Interfaith Hospitality Network is to provide Cape Fear's homeless families with emergency and transitional services that assist them in regaining their independence. WIHN unites communities of faith in a collaborative effort to assist homeless families. On a rotating basis, 13 host congregations provide accommodations and meals for up to four families for one week, four times a year. An additional 25 congregations support the hosts, providing material, human, and financial resources to support the program. Volunteers from the congregations provide meals and support services.
Honorable Mentions, in alphabetical order: