Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu November 2, 2006
Other Side Of The River
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Wilmington and New Hanover County planning departments teamed up to create zoning plans for future development on the west bank of the Cape Fear River.
Wilmington's planning board got a look at the plan last night and now the New Hanover County Planning Board gets its look at it Thursday nigiht.
Ever since the Battleship USS North Carolina nestled in across the river from Wilmington little has disturbed its peace over there.
But back in January plans to create a development called City View captured headlines and since then Wilmington and New Hanover county officials have been working on a zoning plan that would give a unified look and feel development between the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge and Isobel Holmes Bridge.
It's not a binding district, but an option that developers can buy into - or not.
WHQR sat down with New Hanover County Planning Director Chris O'Keefe and Wilmington Planning Manager Kaye Graybeal to talk about what's called the Riverfront Mixed Use District. And start our conversation on why developers would opt into the plan.