Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue June 19, 2012
Nils Lofgren On World Cafe
Nils Lofgren has built a stellar reputation as a masterful guitarist in both solo and collaborative endeavors, and his extensive discography showcases a unique brand of high-energy blues-rock. Since the 1970s, Lofgren has released more than 40 solo albums, as well as plenty of collaborations with Neil Young, Lou Reed, Bruce Springsteen and his early band Grin.
The passage of time and two recent hip replacements — partly the product of his on-stage gymnastics — haven't slowed Lofgren down. His latest album came out this past December, and Old School is just as gritty and rocking as any classic Lofgren album, with an added element of nostalgia. With song titles such as "60 is the New 18" and "Ain't Too Many of Us Left," it demonstrates the way America's iconic rockers are still more than capable of anthemic, blisteringly quick guitar solos.
This segment originally aired on February 9, 2012.