Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue August 1, 2006
New State Prison in Columbus County
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Construction is under way in Columbus County on a new state prison.
The maximum-security prison is going up near Tabor City and will hold 992 cells.
Crews cleared the site last summer and a construction started back in June. John Harris is the senior project manager for Centex Construction, he says it's going to take thousands of workers to build the prison, most of them local.
Harris says he expects to finish the prison by April of 2008, and it will cost 94-million dollars.
This is the 6th prison Centex has built in North Carolina.