Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Tue November 14, 2006
New Hanover County Reject Nourishment Plan
By Gary Popp
Wilmington, NC – New Hanover County commissioners rejected a proposal to pick up the tab for dredging the Carolina Beach Inlet and pump the sand onto Carolina Beach.
Board chairman Bobby Greer says this job is usually paid for by the federal government.
Now, they are saying no, we're not going to do it, you pay for it. And I don't think that should be the responsibility of the local government.
One county official said passing the proposal to pay for dredging Carolina Beach Inlet would set an expensive precedent for New Hanover County.