Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Tue August 29, 2006
New Evacuation Route for Parts of Brunswick County
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Brunswick County officials say the completed stretch I- 140 will cut evacuation time for some county residents.
Brunswick County officials say the I-140 Wilmington Bypass links an improved Carolina Beach Road to Interstate 40, giving county residents a faster evacuation route.
Brunswick County Emergency Management Director Randy Thompson says sending residents through New Hanover county will work because of new regional evacuation plans.
If we're looking at that volume of traffic chances are the state of North Carolina through an act of the governor has called for a lane reversal and so we feel that that will assist in that volume control.
The county expects the DOT will finish putting up signs marking the new evacuation route this week.