Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue August 29, 2006
New Evacuation Route for Parts of Brunswick County
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Brunswick County officials say the completed stretch I- 140 will cut evacuation time for some county residents.
Brunswick County officials say the I-140 Wilmington Bypass links an improved Carolina Beach Road to Interstate 40, giving county residents a faster evacuation route.
Brunswick County Emergency Management Director Randy Thompson says sending residents through New Hanover county will work because of new regional evacuation plans.
If we're looking at that volume of traffic chances are the state of North Carolina through an act of the governor has called for a lane reversal and so we feel that that will assist in that volume control.
The county expects the DOT will finish putting up signs marking the new evacuation route this week.