Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue May 1, 2012
Netherlands Celebrates Queen Beatrix
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm David Greene. In the Netherlands yesterday, thousands of citizens were out celebrating Queen's Day. The holiday honors Queen Beatrix. The queen and her family celebrated by defending the royal banner in a series of games, including tug-of-war and soap box racing. And then there was Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, who participated in the day's final event - a toilet bowl tossing contest. Yes, we can apparently thank the Netherlands for bringing new meaning to royal throne. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.